|Copyright 2006 Oshawa Dodgers
Mike Welbourne enters his first year as the
Dodgers catcher coming to the team from the
Northumberland Whisky Jacks.
1. What was the first sport that you played?
2. At what age did you start playing baseball and at what level?
5, in softball I didn’t start playing Hardball until i was 11 or 12
3. What number do you wear and is there any significance to it?
83 because I wore it for my 3 years of Midget and won 2 Provincial titles
4. Day games or Night games and why?
Night games because I love playing under the lights and the atmosphere of
5. What is your favourite meal to prepare?
I am no cook but my favourite meal to have prepared for my is easily
Chicken stir fry.
6. What is your favourite restaurant to eat at?
7. How do you want to be remembered when you leave the
I just want to be remembered period, but if I had to choose I would want to
be remembered as a hard worker and a good teammate.
8. If you could have dinner with three people, living or deceased,
who would they be?
Probably Shania Twain, Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood.
9. What is your dream job outside of playing baseball?
Comedian or an actor.
10. What is the best present you have ever received?
My big red baseball glove I used for 8 years it was bigger than me.
11. Do you have any phobias?
I am claustrophobic
12. What is your favourite television show?
Huge fan of Boy meets world love Topanga.
13. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would
you have with you?
A laptop, lots of food and bottled water.
14. If you could trade places with one person, who would it be and
Larry the Cable guy so I could be ugly and still have ladies love me.
15. Who was the biggest influence on your life growing up and
My parents, they brought me up well and never put any pressure on me to
pursue baseball but always supported me. Dave Stothart buddy from home
too many good things to say about all he has done for me. My best friend
Jonesy , thanks guys.
16. Why should fans come out and watch the Oshawa Dodgers?
I think we have made some great acquisitions and are going to be a hard
working team that brings it every game.
17. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Married with a couple kids (boy and girl) and hopefully still catching for the
18. Who have been the most influential people in your baseball
My Dad who would spend hours tossing the ball underhand to me because
I would cry if he threw it overhand. Donny Leaman who has coached me all
my life and Billy Jones, both who never had kids on the team but spent a
lot of their own time and money allowing us to play the greatest game on
19. What should younger players in the game do to keep improving
to get to the next level?
Practice makes perfect, you get what you put into things and if you want
something you have to work for it.
20. What are your baseball/career goals?
I want to make it as far as I can in the game and hopefully play pro
baseball over seas in a few years.
21. Detail three Career Highlights:
Winning the AA provincial title in Sarnia with a 6-1 record in my last year of
midget ball. Being named most sportsmanlike player 3 years in a row, more
important to me than a MVP anyday . Becoming an Oshawa Dodger
22. How do you spend your time when you are not playing
You may not know it by looking at me, but I spend a lot of my time in the
gym. I like to hang out with friends and own at PS2 NHL 05.
23. What other sports did you play growing up or that you still
I played hockey for a couple years when I was younger and played high
24. Why did you want to become a Dodger?
I thought it was a great opportunity to play the highest level of baseball in
Ontario without even having to leave home.
25. Where did you play baseball last season?
Northumberland Whiskey Jacks
26. What are your pet peeves?
Ignorance, and guys that don't admit they love country music because they
think they are hard. Come on now.
27. Do you have any bad habits?
I have a habit of being skinny. I'm trying to break it though.
28. Do you have any superstitions?
I have to touch everything. I always pick up bats for the other team and tap
it on home plate and it puts a curse on their stick.